Long dudhi or calabash (in English) is known and called by different names such as white gourd, bottle gourd, calabash, white pumpkin, lauki, Cucuzza, PO gua, opo squash, white-flowered gourd, long melon, New Guinea bean, and Tasmania bean. This long vegetable is vine-grown and belongs to the Cucurbitaceae (running or climbing vine) family. It is distinguishable by its light green colour and smooth skin layer. It is popularly grown across Asia and North America and has been widely used in Thai cuisine.
Its taste has a hint of a peppery flavour, fresh, and slightly bitter taste since it is usually harvested young to vegetable. However, this vegetable is high in water content and is commonly grated and added to salads, stir-fried vegetables, and soups.
The calabash gourd is often confused with bottle gourd, but their significant distinction is that the rounder ones are the calabash, and the slender ones are the bottle gourd. However, they are the same.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF LONG DUDHI/CALABASH/BOTTLE GOURD
- Rehydrating – Due to its high water content, calabash juice is a great remedy for diarrhea, which causes dehydration and diabetes, which causes constant thirst.
- Anti-fatigue – Frequently, when we consume too much sodium, our body will more likely feel tired. Consuming calabash, especially in liquid form, helps counter the excessive sodium in our body and prevents fatigue.
- Counters Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) – When you start feeling a burning sensation when urinating, you have likely developed a UTI (not all the time), but make sure to seek medical attention to have a reliable diagnosis. But as a home remedy, it will also help if you will drink at least a glass of calabash juice once a day, as it is known to act as an alkaline agent.
- Healthy Diet – Calabash is low in calorie content; therefore it is an excellent addition to your diet meal plans.
- Improved Digestive System – Since calabash is rich in fibre and other essential nutrients/minerals such as iron and protein, it can aid digestive problems like constipation, indigestion, ulcer, and stomach acidity.
NUTRITIONAL CONTENT ACCORDING TO RDA STANDARDS (FOR 145 GRAMS SERVING)
- Energy – 17 calories per cup (86g)
- Protein – 0.3 grams
- Carbohydrates – 3.6 grams
- Fat – 0.1 grams
- Fibre – 2.9 grams
- Vitamin C – 14.6 mg. or 36.5% RDA
- Vitamin B9 (Folate) – 8.7 mcg. or 8.7% RDA
- Calcium – 29 mg. or 7.25% RDA
- Magnesium – 37.7 mg. or 10.7% RDA
- Phosphorus – 14.5 mg. or 2.41% RDA
- Potassium – 126.2 mg. or 2.68% RDA
- Sodium – 2.5 mg.
PROPER SELECTION STANDARDS
- Smooth and has no cuts, blemishes, and spots
- Pale green in colour
- Firm in grip
- Insides should not feel soft when pressed
This product is most beneficial when enjoyed in liquid form. It is a good detox juice and is best consumed in the morning.
CALABASH OR LONG DUDHI INDIAN DISHES
Even though it is commonly served as a beverage, there is a wide selection of flavorful and healthy dishes that features calabash. Here are unique Indian Dishes with Calabash for you to try at home.
- Dudhi Kofta (Bottle Gourd Fritters)
- Bottle Gourd Sabji (Curry)
- Pora Lau-er Biryani
- Lauki Ke Kofte
- Lauki shorba detox bottle gourd soup
- (Desserts) Lauki Keer, Lauki Halwa, and Lauki Burfi
- Lauki Chana Dal
- Dudhi Muthia
- Lauki Aloo ki Sabji
- Lauki Thepla